Saturday, November 28, 2009

Digging up the past -rediscovering myself

There's this point of time in everybody's life when we suddenly turn into the most creative romantics - in the sense that we begin to write poetry, draw, paint or write short stories.. I was reminded of my 'romantic phase of life' when I came across my 'treasure trove' as we were moving into our new house (a lovely duplex).

If you're asking what the 'treasure trove' stands for, the answer is pretty simple. Lets put it this way - I'm a magpie who loves collecting souvenirs from places I go to and the people I meet. Even if it is just a spare tissue from a fancy hotel where I had my first date, or an eagle feather that I picked up at the beach during a family outing, it goes into the treasure trove. I keep these little 'trivial oddities' so as to recall memories that might otherwise be lost in some corner of my messy mind. For the magically inclined, its much like my very own Pensieve. Anyway, I was glancing through some of the stuff and came across a personal daily diary which I had meticulously maintained during my undergrad days. It brought back tons of memories, but many more laughs. The diary also contained a collection of poems that I had penned down at the age of 18, when I began living alone, independently. I could not resist reading them out loud as I walked in circles around my living room.. Here is one of the poems.. If you guys like it, I'll put up the other poems too.

The Unseen Comet

And the rant went on
Cooped within unbreakable walls;
He sat devoid of hate and scorn,
Aware of the distant angelic call.

The pitch was perfect, the tone tame;
Thus came brevity in seismic lyrics.
He wrote on stone, beyond all shame,
With an eagle feather, eclipsing the rotting sticks.

The blood-stained cell echoed "Doomed to die",
But his heart pursued the elusive fight,
Of life; a hope embodied in a clear-blue sky,
Shunning the view of dry marshlands, the phalanx, the might.

Imprisoned for no faulth of his own,
Locked in with a murderer - condemned to his rant:
Marked, beaten, starved to the bone,
Hence, fate turned out a killer,
And all straight turned slant.

Then a ray of light pierced the darkened page,
As an olive-green leaf found his scarred hand.
Hope personified in the midst of the carnage.
Nature's reassuring gesture, a forgotten smile,
Brought the whiff of spring back to the poisoned land.

Finally, came peace, he was made eternally clean.
In bodily defeat, but universal victory.
'When beggars die there are no comets seen'
But then a sinner repented, carving a renewed story.
And the rant died.

This poem was written during one of those typically long hours of class that seem to take an eternity to get over! It is the translation of thought... The thought of this man who had been imprisoned for life for no fault of his own, locked up in permanent confinement with a deranged ranting murderer... no one gave two hoots whether he was bleeding, hungry or even dying!..

There was a tiny window in the cell. Everytime he looked down from the window he lost hope, because he saw only dirt, the expansive prison and the cruel prison guard. He marked his days in the cell with blood on the floor... IIII/ IIII/.... then one day, a tiny olive leaf fluttered into the cell through the window. He looked up out of the windowand he pictured hope, the beauty of a clear sky, magnanimous creation.. he felt the peace of God coming over him as he heard a heavenly voice calling him to eternity...when beggars die, no one seems to care...No-one except for the deranged cell mate who witnessed the faultless life pass away in peace...The "insane ranting murderer'' finds God in the most unlikely of circumstances...In death...moving through a prison cell..the murderer saw hope beyond his cell, his deeds, his rant...he repented...and the rant ended...Shakespeare wrote ''when beggars die, there are no comets seen''...the Bible says, ''when a sinner repents, even the angels rejoice''...two stories...1. The hope of Eternal Life...2. The hope of a sinner saved through grace exemplified in the poem...hope you liked it...

3 comments:

  1. good stuff!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh poet u r...:-)!!!see...dis is wat long boring lectures do 2 us...!!phoo...!!

    ReplyDelete